Musgrove Family Mortuary & West Lawn Memorial Park
In 1883 Robert Day, a cabinet and coffin maker who had been in business in Eugene since 1870, entered in to a partnership with Robert Henderson, a professional undertaker, and Day and Henderson opened its doors on the corner of 7th and Willamette Streets in downtown Eugene as the first funeral home in Lane County. In 1911 they sold the business to W.W. Brandstetter who moved the operation to the corner of 7th and Willamette for a short period of time while a new building was being constructed at 11th and Olive streets. The funeral home has operated out of its current location since 1912. Clarence Simon began working at Branstetter's in 1914 and became a partner in the business in 1929. In 1945 Mr. Simon took on Harold Lounsbury as a partner. Mr. Lounsbury became the sole owner in 1958.
In 1952 Wayne Musgrove began working at the funeral home. He became a partner with Mr. Lounsbury in 1964. In 1973 Mr. Lounsbury died and Wayne Musgrove along with his wife, Kay, became owners of the business. Their oldest son, Mark, began working for them in 1980 and their younger son, Jeff, began working full time at the firm in 1985. Kay Musgrove retired in 1990 and Wayne Musgrove retired in 1991. Mark and Jeff, along with their wives Diane and Sharon, continue to carry on the family tradition of service to our community.
In 1980 the Musgrove family purchased Riverside Chapel in Florence and Murphy Funeral Home in Junction City. The Florence funeral home was sold in 1990. In 2001 the Musgroves entered into an agreement with the Archdiocese of Oregon to manage Mt. Calvary Cemetery in south Eugene. In 2005 the Musgroves purchased several funeral homes and cemeteries in the area from a large multi-national corporation headquartered in Texas, bringing them back into local ownership. Musgrove Family Mortuaries and Cemeteries currently operate from seven locations offering the greatest choice of options to the residents of Lane County. In 2015 Musgrove Family Mortuary moved its funeral home operations to West Lawn Memorial Park.
Poole-Larson Funeral Home
In 1927, Charles Poole, a licensed funeral director and embalmer who owned a funeral home in Springfield, opened Poole Funeral Home at the corner of West 11th and Charnelton in Eugene. The building had originally been a private residence and was later used as a convent by the St. Mary’s Catholic Church, which was located across the street. In 1944 Arthur W. Larsen purchased the business and renamed it Poole-Larsen Funeral Home. In 1960 Theodore (Ted) Larsen joined his father’s business and became a partner in 1968. Ted Larsen purchased his father’s interest in the firm when Arthur Larsen retired in 1975. Art Larsen died in April 1985 at the age of seventy-eight. Ted sold the Funeral Home to his long time employee, Terry Moore in 1990. Terry sold it to the Musgrove family in 2012.
West Lawn Memorial Park
In 1902 Bethesda Lutheran Church built a church building and established a cemetery next to it in what is now the Danish and Bethesda section of West Lawn Memorial Park. In 1926 the church building was moved off of the property and the cemetery land was donated to the International Order of the Odd Fellows (IOOF). An outdoor mausoleum was built in 1962 and the first chapel and indoor mausoleum was constructed in 1982. West Lawn Funeral Home was established in 1984, enabling families to have all of their immediate needs met at one location. The Whispering Winds urn garden opened in 1994. After many years of being owned by a large multinational corporation, the cemetery and funeral home were brought back in to local ownership when the Musgrove family purchased the business in 2005. A state of the art Crematorium and Preparation Center was added to the property in 2007.
England's Memorial Chapel
England's Eugene Memorial Chapel was founded in 1890 and was owned successively by the Gordon, Veach, and Hollingsworth families before being purchased by Murnard and Florence England in 1946. The England's moved the funeral home in 1957 from its location on the corner of 10th and Pearl Streets to a new facility they built at the intersection of 18th and Pearl. In 1979 the England's sold the funeral home to a Portland based company that owned several funeral homes and cemeteries in the Northwest. In 1995 that company was sold to a multi-national corporation based in Houston, Texas. The funeral home returned to local ownership in 2005 when it was purchased by the Musgrove family of Eugene. The funeral home is now co-located with Musgrove Family Mortuary at 225 Danebo Avenue in beautiful Eugene, Oregon.
Where to Find Us
225 South Danebo Ave.
Eugene, OR 97402
Head west on the Randy Pape Beltline, the beltline will end at West 11th Ave. Please take a right on West 11th Ave, and head west. Continue on West 11th for .2 Miles. Turn right and head north on S Danebo Ave for .4 miles, we are located on the right hand side (east side).